Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Gravity Falls Gnome Forest

Hey! 
Here are some really fun BGs I got to do for the Gravity Falls pilot. The line drawings that Sean Jimenez did for this location were so beautiful that my co-painter Josh and I had a ping pong match to see who would get to paint them. I am fierce with a ping pong paddle, and I made Josh cry. I posted Sean's line work below so that you can take a look for yourself. I also have to credit Ian for being an awesome art director, he helped make this location (and everything else on the show) feel totally awesome.








                                       
And this is from the intro. Layout and ink by Ian Worrel!


13 comments:

nlombardo said...

Beautiful work!

Don Flores said...

This stuff is amazing for animated tv series

Sang Lee said...

so beautiful

Anya said...

Smashing stuff here! From both of you. I adore your colouring, it's almost as if I can feel the temperature of the pan down(?) changing.

David de Rooij said...

This is so great!

Le Tang said...

Amazing work! Love the show!

Bryan Smith said...

These are all wonderful and it's cool to see the lines that you get before bringing it to finish.

CJ said...

Your works are amazing dude... I've really been admiring them from the side and now that I've found your blog I will be keeping an eye out!

I was wondering, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, if you could give me some pointers on doing backgrounds specifically for animation?

Like, when you're planning the eye level and vanishing points, do you eyeball most of it or use a grid system? I've really been wanting to improve in that area and would like some professional input! It would be really appreciated.

Diana said...

Hi! Do you create this backgrounds with Photoshop? I love the art of Gravity Falls!

Anonymous said...

Love gravity falls! Awesome looking forest.

delia t said...

I am a fan of the show, and as an concept art student I am amazed by the backgrounds. However I am really puzzled as to whether these are traditional media or digital? Can you please share some light on the matter?

delia t said...

Please please tell us if this is made with traditional media or photoshop. I have been searching high and low for some textured brushes similar to the ones i see on the backgrounds on the show and came back empty handed.

Elle Michalka said...

Hi Guys! Thanks for all of your wonderful comments. I am sorry I havent had the time yet to respond to any of you.
Delia, we do all the backgrounds in photoshop. You should be able to look up tutorials on how to create your own brushes and take it from there. Do some experimenting.